[17 FAVORITE COMICS OF THE YEAR]
(actual like, books/zines, not including single stories that were amazing because I’m sorta lazy and not sitting in front of my bookshelf full of minis. Also, I haven’t read Building Stories yet.)
[UPDATE: Stuff I really liked that slipped my mind because I made this list in a rush: RAMBLE ON #2 by Calvin Wong, DEEP CUT by Hellen Jo, Remake 3xtra by Lamar Abrams, Kawaii by Slow Youth folks, Glacier/Glazier #1 by Jonny Negron, Cop Comics #1 by Zacchilli/DeForge/Kyle]
17. Sell Your Boobs by Lisa Hanawalt
16. The Flowers of Evil by Shuzo Oshimi
15. The Manhattan Projects TPB by Jonathan Hickman / Nick Pitarra / Cris Peter
14. Sunday in the Park with Boys by Jane Mai
13. Prophet by Brandon Graham, Simon Roy, Farel Dalrymple, Giannis Milonogiannis
12. In the Up Part of the Wave by Lala Albert
11. QVIET by Andy Burkholder
10. Issues #2: Shoes Over Bills by Hannah K. Lee
9. Ant Comic by Michael DeForge
8. RAV 6 + 7 by Mickey Zacchilli
7. Girl Apocalypse by Angie Wang
6. Cody by Michael DeForge
5. Message to Adolf by Osamu Tezuka
4. Nancy Loves Christmas by Ernie Bushmiller
3. SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki
2. The End of the Fucking World by Charles Forsman
1. Lose #4 by Michael DeForge
[6 PERSONAL COMICS MOMENTS]
6. Pen Ward touched my head and told me to draw a map “with funny faces on it” to the 24-hour Indian restaurant, after a five hour karaoke session at TCAF.
5. Finished final edits on The Strange Tale of Panorama Island by Suehiro Maruo. It’s been sent to the printer in China and finally coming out in a few months.
4. Led my first “talk” at a festival, mumbling through my Free Smells comics mixtape at CAKE. Tabled alongside my wonderful girlfriend Jane and debuted Thickness #3 at a rad new show.
3. Domefest 2012. Organized a creators’ retreat for our long-time APE crew (The Bang Gang) + friends, watched Blade II in the desert, communed with creatures and hippies, planned out two new zines.
2. Watched my friends do amazing work. Books deals for some of my best buds, intriguing work from folks I’ve published in the past, hilarious episodes from friends working at Cartoon Network, opening their own gallery/store, etc.
1. Decided to become a Publisher in 2013. With the support of trusted friends (Jane, Michael, Lisa, Jillian, Annie, Hannah, Evan, Roman), I’m finally taking the plunge and planning to publish a few modest (but rad) books in 2013.